Thursday, January 29, 2009

It had to effect everyone

Up until today, the ice storm did not have a really bad effect on Travis, Taylor and I. It had taken Travis' truck door handle, but other than that we were lucky. We had electricity. We don't really have any landscaping yet for it to hurt. We were lucky. Then today rolled around and I had to get out to take Taylor to the doctor. The side roads were slow and kind of yucky still, but we did just fine. Then leaving the doctor it happened...the day started to fall apart. Driving down the highway a chunk of ice from the front of my car flew up and hit the windshield. It shattered (refer to picture below)
I pulled over to check the damage. It had busted so bad that pieces of glass were on the inside of my car on the dash. So we decided it needed to go the the auto shop ASAP before everyone else goes. So I went home, called around and found a place that would take it today and get it back to me tomorrow-Yay! Most other places were saying next week was the soonest. So I packed Taylor back up and headed out. I decided the way I took earlier was too icy still that I would try another way. BAD IDEA! The road only had a cleared path for one car and when I met another car I decided I would be nice and scoot to the snowy part and let them pass on the somewhat cleared part. Then it happened...sliding...scooting...more sliding...Ditch! It was bad that I drove into the ditch, but at least I was smart enough to make sure we did run into that hill. So here are the pics below that I took on my camera phone while Taylor and I waited for Travis. We were not hurt...just in a ditch.
Not so bad huh?
(I know it looks like the road is clear, but the sliding actually happened at the top of the hill where the road was covered...and I slid all the way to this resting point.

Still doesn't look too bad


Oh no...that isn't pretty. Taylor's side was pretty much leaning on that hill. And the right tires were buried. Lucky for us though Travis came right when two other guys stopped and they put weight on the back of the car and Travis finally drove it out after spinning for awhile. It doesn't look like much damage was done except to my self esteem. I felt so stupid, but 2 of the people that stopped to help said they were each in a ditch in the last 24 hours.



1 comment:

LaLa said...

Sarah - glad you guys are ok! Guess the moral to the story is "you" need to stay home until the ice is all gone! Taylor looks like she is getting so big! I know you are having so much fun. Enjoy these days they go by too quick. - Lana